T. Comly Hunter photograph collection
Held at: Historical Society of Frankford [Contact Us]1507 Orthodox St., Philadelphia, PA, 19124
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of Frankford. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
T. Comly Hunter (1848-1931) was a local businessman and philanthropist active in the Frankford section of Northeast Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was born in the Bustleton neighborhood of Philadelphia. He would later move to nearby Frankford, marrying Josephine B. Shallcross (1852-1926) in 1883. Hunter first worked in the office of Morris Tasker & Company. In 1881, he founded the firm of Hunter & Dickson with S.F. Dickson, which was incorporated in 1900. Hunter served as a director for various local businesses, including the Central Trust and Savings Company, Frankford Mutual Fire Insurance Company, and Cedar Hill Cemetery Company. He was also a trustee for local organizations including the Methodist Episcopal Orphanage, the Methodist Episcopal Hospital, and the Wright's Industrial Institute. In 1905, along with other prominent members of the Frankford community, Hunter helped establish the Historical Society of Frankford and served as its first president.
T. Comly Hunter passed away in 1931 and is interred at Cedar Hill Cemetery in Frankford, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Leonard, John W. Who's Who in Pennsylvania: A Biographical Dictionary of Contemporaries. New York: L.R. Hamersly & Company, 1908.
This collection consists of 1,094 late nineteenth to early twentieth century photographs, primarily of Frankford area buildings, landscapes, and street scenes, but also many images of other Northeast Philadelphia areas and some of the Greater Philadelphia region. The photographs were taken by a number of different photographers. The photographs are indexed by subject or location in a card catalog and are numbered and arranged into seven series, as follows: Photos HO.1 to HO1.263: Boxes 1-9 Photos HO.1.1 to HO1.69: Boxes 10-12 Photos HO2.31 to HO2.101: Boxes 13-14 (Box for HO2.1. to HO2.30 is missing) Photos H1.1E to H1.37E: Box 15 (Photos of East side of Frankford Avenue) Photos H1.1W to H1.39W: Box 16 (Photos of West side of Frankford Avenue) Photos H1.49 to H1.169: Boxes 17-20 (No photos H1.1 to H1.48) Photos H1 to H 465: Boxes 21-36
Most, if not all photographs are matted, and have a description on the back. Some have been digitized onto a CD and a listing is available on-site.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2014-2016 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Historical Society of Frankford directly for more information.
- Historical Society of Frankford
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Sarah Leu and Anastasia Matijkiw through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Historical Society of Frankford for information about accessing this collection.