Held at: Historical Society of Frankford [Contact Us]1507 Orthodox St., Philadelphia, PA, 19124
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of Frankford. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Dr. Ellwood Lukens Drake (1873-1962) was a physician in the Northeast section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania from the late 19th century to the mid-20th century. Born in 1873 in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, Drake graduated from Central High School of Philadelphia in 1892 and received his medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania in 1895. He married May Boyer (1872-1948), the daughter of Dr. Alonzo H. Boyer (1845-1906) in 1899. Drake worked as a resident physician at the Municipal Hospital at Philadelphia for approximately three years before working as a doctor in Northeast Philadelphia. Drake was a member of the Historical Society of Frankford and served on its Board of Directors.
Leonard, John W. "Drake, Ellwood L." In Who's Who in Pennsylvania: A Biographical Dictionary of Contemporaries. New York: L.R. Hamersly & Company, 1908.
This collection consists of 17 scrapbooks dating from 1932 to 1950. There is one scrapbook for every year except the years 1947-1949, which are combined into one scrapbook. The scrapbooks document the social and professional activities of Ellwood Drake and contain ephemera such as greeting cards, programs, ticket stubs, menus, and business cards, as well as letters and newspaper clippings that mention events he attended. Many of the items in the scrapbooks are annotated, sometimes with lengthy annotations, by Drake and often mention individuals with whom he was active, the weather, what he ate at dinners, and other notes.
Also included as part of this collection is one of Dr. Drake's scrapbooks dating from 1940-1948 that was donated by Harry Silcox in 2008.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2014-2016 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Historical Society of Frankford directly for more information.
- Historical Society of Frankford
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Sarah Leu and Anastasia Matijkiw through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Historical Society of Frankford for information about accessing this collection.