Held at: Historical Society of Frankford [Contact Us]1507 Orthodox St., Philadelphia, PA, 19124
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of Frankford. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Greater Northeast Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce was established in 1922 as the Northeast Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce by successful businessmen in the Frankford section of Northeast Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, who recognized the need for a private local business support organization. Early concerns of the Chamber of Commerce were transportation, promoting business in the community, and the Northeast Philadelphia area as a whole.
In the 21st century, the Chamber rebranded itself and changed its name to the Greater Northeast Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce to reflect its membership, which is spread across several counties and three states. As of 2015, the Greater Northeast Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce aims to bring small and large businesses together to network, develop, and improve business relations.
Greater Northeast Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce. "Who We Are." 2016. Accessed on April 29, 2016. http://www.nephilachamber.com/about/.
This collection consists of several hundred issues of the Greater Northeast Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce newsletter from 1923 to 1978. The newsletter started in 1923 as "The Northeast Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce," but changed its name circa 1928 to "The Nor'easter," in 1964 to "The Northeast Business Monthly," and again in 1968 to "The Northeast Business."
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2014-2016 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Historical Society of Frankford directly for more information.
- Historical Society of Frankford
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Sarah Leu and Anastasia Matijkiw through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Historical Society of Frankford for information about accessing this collection.