Women's Club of Frankford records
Held at: Historical Society of Frankford [Contact Us]1507 Orthodox St., Philadelphia, PA, 19124
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of Frankford. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Women’s Club of Frankford was originally founded as the Mother’s Club of Frankford by a group of five women in 1905 in the neighborhood of Frankford in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Mother’s Club was established with the vision of improving the welfare of children in the community. It quickly expanded to over sixty members in the next two years. The Club’s first philanthropic event was to support financially a probation officer until the city could establish a probation officer of its own. During the earlier years, club members raised money to employ a visiting nurse to assist local families in need. Issues taken up by the organization at this time included child labor laws, mothers’ pensions, infant health, and youth recreation.
By 1921, the Club had expanded to two hundred and six members. That same year, the club voted unanimously to become a "departmental" club, allowing them to become more active in regional and national women’s groups. Also in this year, the Club officially became the Women’s Club of Frankford, and affiliated with the General Federation of Women’s Clubs and the State Federation of Women’s Clubs. The Club also later affiliated with the Philadelphia Federation of Women’s Clubs. The Junior Women’s Club was established shortly after Women's Club affiliated with the state and local groups. Consisting of women between the ages of eighteen and forty, the Junior Women’s Club of Frankford worked with nursing homes, libraries, youth organizations, hospitals, and families in need in the Northeast community of Philadelphia.
Following its transition to the Women’s Club of Frankford, the Club continued to increase membership and undertake projects for the community. The Club raised funds to furnish a private room at Frankford Hospital bearing the Club’s name. The Club organized lectures, forums, and talks on national and international affairs, current events, music, art, and literature. By 1930, the club was supporting three social service workers and a milk fund for the social service department at Frankford Hospital. The Club also began meeting at the Historical Society of Frankford around that time. During WWII, members of the club sent money, clothing, and supplies overseas. Club members also sold war bonds and war stamps, knitted lap robes, and provided services to veterans at the Philadelphia Naval Hospital.
The Club continued activities devoted to cultural and charitable work in the post-World War II years. Projects and activities included purchasing uniforms for the Frankford High School Majorettes, a spring flower show, the Frankford Lawn Fete, and support for the Frankford Symphony Society. During the 1970s, the Club took up multiple causes, including the return of prayer to school and stopping smoking.
In the late 1960s, the Women’s Club of Frankford began meeting at St James Church, and continued to meet there until it became inactive in 2008. The Club was continuous in its efforts to help the community in these years, supporting organizations such as the Salvation Army, the Needlework Guild, Byberry State Hospital, and the Riverview Home for the Aged.
This collection consists of minute books, financial records, newsletters, event programs, pamphlets, correspondence, scrapbooks, and other materials from the Women's Club of Frankford. There are also materials from the junior section of the club, the Junior Women's Club of Frankford.
The Women’s Club of Frankford records are arranged into two record groups.
Record Group 1. Women’s Club of Frankford is sub-divided into five series: Series I. Minutes books, 1955-1962; Series II. Annual files, 1934-2006; Series III. Financial, Series IV. Correspondence, and Series V. Press book.
Record Group 2: Junior Women’s Club of Frankford is sub-divided into eleven series: Series I. Executive Board meeting minutes, 1977-1982; Series II. President’s reports, 1963-1982; Series III. Treasurer’s reports, 1966-1994; Series IV. House and hospitality reports, 1970-1981; Series V. Charity ball, 1959-1969, Series VI. Letters - charity football game, 1967-1971; Series VII. Press clippings, 1968-1970; Series VIII. Newsletters and flyers, 1980-1982; Series IX. Pennsylvania Federation of Women’s Clubs, 1967-1982; Series X. Pamphlets; and Series XI. Frankford Hospital staff listing, 1969-1970.
There are also some artifacts associated with this collection that were not included as part of this survey.
Gift of Patricia Coyne, April 8, 2009.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2014-2016 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Historical Socity of Frankford directly for more information.
- Historical Society of Frankford
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Sarah Leu and Anastasia Matijkiw through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Historical Society of Frankford for information about accessing this collection.