Levi Lukens family papers
Held at: Haverford Township Historical Society [Contact Us]PO Box 825, Havertown, PA, 19083
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Haverford Township Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
"Levi [(1835-1915)], only son of Nathan and Sarah Naylor (Lincoln) Lukens, was born on the old Butler place in Upper Darby [Township in Delaware County, Pennsylvania]... When he had attained his majority, his father turned over to him the farm, and he cultivated a tract of one hundred and seventy-five acres, making a specialty of dairy farming... For years, Mr. Lukens [was] a leader in his township, and was one of the men who [was] instrumental in [obtaining the] railroad facilities for the community. In 1863, Mr. Lukens assisted in raising a company of infantry and was out for six weeks, being attached to the Sixteenth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. He was made second lieutenant of this company under Captain Amos Bonsall, of Upper Darby [T]ownship. Upon his return Mr. Lukens resumed his agricultural work. Mr. Lukens married Mary E., daughter of John and Mary E. (Metzger) Shaffner, of Lancaster City, Pennsylvania [in 1860]...Levi and Mary E. (Shaffner) Lukens had [six] children..." (p. 746)
John Shaffner Lukens (1867-1936) was the fourth child of Levi and Mary Lukens. After graduating from Peirce's Business College in 1884, he took over the running of his father's dairy farm. He married Elizabeth Courtney in 1896 and they had four children, the youngest of whom was Marguerite (1906-1990).
Penn Hall was a two-story red brick school house built in 1872 as part of the Haverford Township school district. The first floor of the building was used as a school, while the second floor was used for meetings of various kinds, including a non-denominational Sunday school taught by professors from Haverford College. The school closed sometime between 1910 and 1912.
Quoted text from: Jordan, John W. A History of Delaware County, Pennsylvania, and Its People, Volume II. New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1914. Accessed on April 28, 2014. http://books.google.com/books?id=_hQVAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=746&f=false.
This collection consists of a few volumes, largely pertaining to the finances of the Lukens farm. A couple of volumes in the collection are from the Penn Hall Association.
The ledgers from the Lukens farm have the heading "Levi Lukens, Esq." and contain farm, household, and personal expenses, 1854-1923. One ledger appears to be a generic account book, 1868-1872, and does not have any labels. The Penn Hall Association volumes date from 1872 to 1920 and contain a small amount of notes and records from the organization.
Gift of Marguerite Lukens (granddaughter of Levi Lukens), 1984.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Haverford Township Historical Society directly for more information.
- Haverford Township Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Sarah Leu through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Haverford Township Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.