Held at: Glen Foerd on the Delaware [Contact Us]5001 Grant Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19114
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Glen Foerd on the Delaware. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Glen Foerd estate was built circa 1850 by Charles Macalester, founder of Torresdale and Financial Adviser to eight United States Presidents. The estate, which Macalester called "Glengarry," was renamed by Robert H. Foerderer (1860-1903) when he purchased it in 1893.
Upon her death in 1972 Florence Tonner, daughter of Robert and Caroline Foerderer, bequeathed the Glen Foerd estate to the Lutheran Church of America. She included the caveat, however, that if the Lutheran Church was unable to care for the estate, it would revert to public ownership. The Lutheran Center at Glen Foerd operated the estate as a retreat center and meeting space until 1988, when ownership of the estate was awarded to the City of Philadelphia in a lawsuit. Since then, the Glen Foerd Conservation Corporation, a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and restoration of Glen Foerd, has administered the property in cooperation with Philadelphia Parks and Recreation.
"Glen Foerd History." Accessed September 28, 2011. http://www.glenfoerd.org.
The bulk of this collection is made up of financial records, correspondence, fundraising records, event records, and membership records from the Glen Foerd Conservation Corporation, 1985-2004. There are also a large number of photographs, videos, and slides depicting events at Glen Foerd, the building and grounds, and room interiors and collections. A small amount of legal records pertaining to the lawsuit (which resulted in stewardship of the estate passing to the City of Philadelphia) are of special interest.
- Fairmount Park Commission (Philadelphia, Pa.).
- Lutheran Center at Glen Foerd.
- Lutheran Church in America.
- Glen Foerd on the Delaware
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Glen Foerd on the Delaware for information about accessing this collection.