Held at: Greek American Heritage Museum [Contact Us]PO BOX 4201, Philadelphia, PA, 19101
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Greek American Heritage Museum. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Greek American Heritage Society was founded in 2002 to preserve and promote Hellenic culture and to reconnect youth and adults to their Greek heritage. The Society hosts educational and cultural programs and collects archival materials documenting the history of the Greek American community in greater Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 2013 the Greek American Heritage Society entered into an agreement with Saint George's Greek Orthodox Cathedral and relocated to a space in an office building adjacent to the Cathedral, where the Society established the Greek American Heritage Museum.
Many Greeks began immigrating to Philadelphia at the end of the nineteenth century. The Greek Orthodox Community of Philadelphia was established in 1901 to meet the spiritual needs of Greek Americans living in Philadelphia and to preserve Hellenic culture and tradition. The Greek Orthodox Community of Philadelphia purchased All Saints Episcopal Church on November 13, 1908 and renamed it Annunciation/Evangelismos Greek Orthodox Church. Old Evangelismos, as it is known today, was home to Greek Orthodox community of Philadelphia for almost seventy years until many of its parishioners relocated to the Philadelphia suburbs.
Some parishioners began worshiping at Saint Demetrios Parish in Upper Darby, Delaware County, Pennsylvania, while others attended worship services at 504 Elkins Avenue in Elkins Park, Delaware County. In 1969 construction was completed on the Hellenic Cultural Center in Elkins Park and on November 19, 1972 the new Annunciation/Evangelismos Greek Orthodox Church opened its doors to worshipers. Old Evangelismos was sold to a Baptist Congregation in 1967.
Philadelphia is also home to Saint George's Greek Orthodox Cathedral which was declared an historic site in 1964 by the Historic Commission of the City of Philadelphia. It was built in 1822 by noted architect John Haviland, originally as Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church. Saint Andrew's was purchased in 1922 by the Greek Orthodox Kathedrikos of Saint George and became the Cathedral of Philadelphia and the Delaware Valley in 1971.
Annunciation/Evangelismos Greek orthodox Church. "Our History." 2016. Accessed June 7, 2016. http://www.anngoc.org/about-us/
Hidden City Philadelphia. "As Athens Burns in Protest, Reminders of Greek Philadelphia." 2012. Accessed June 7, 2016. http://hiddencityphila.org/2012/09/as-athens-burns-in-protest-reminders-of-greek-philadelphia/
Saint George Orthodox Cathedral. "About Our Parish." 2016. Accessed June 7, 2016. http://saintgeorgecathedral.org/
This collection consists of church committee records, minutes and member materials, property documents, newsletters, booklets, calendars, greeting cards, pamphlets, printed matter, and ephemera, dating from 1929-2010s (bulk circa 1980s-1990). Also included in the collection are photocopied materials, scrapbooks, convention booklets, directories, newsletters, and bylaws, as well as the administrative and financial records of the Greek Orthodox Ladies Philoptochos Society. Organizations represented in the collection include: the Chephalonian Society, the Greek Orthodox Church of St. Luke (Broomall, Pennsylvania), Evangelismos Church (Elkins Park, Pennsylvania), Hellenic American Educational Society, Pan-Hellenic Union in America, the Greek Orthodox Young Adult League, the North American Foundation for Modern Greek Arts, Greek Orthodox Society of North and South America, the Annunciation Ladies Educational Society of Philadelphia, Greek American Democratic Club, the Greek Orthodox Ladies Philoptochos Society, Hellenic Literature Society, and Pan-Macedonian Association, Inc.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2014-2016 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Greek American Heritage Museum directly for more information.
- Greek American Heritage Museum
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Diane Biunno, Sarah Leu and Anastasia Matijkiw through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Greek American Heritage Museum for information about accessing this collection.