Held at: The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute [Contact Us]222 N 20th St, Philadelphia, PA, 19103
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
George Wattson Hewitt (1841-1916) was an architect active in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and was involved in the design of several well-known buildings, including the Bellevue-Stratford Hotel, the Philadelphia Bourse, and the Library of the University of Pennsylvania. He worked with noted Philadelphia architect Frank Furness from 1867 to 1875, when they dissolved their partnership. From 1875 to 1878, Hewitt worked on his own and then opened a new firm in 1878 with his brother, where he remained until he retired in 1907. Hewitt passed away in 1916.
George Wattson Hewitt (1841-1916) was born in 1841 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to George Washington Hewitt (1811-1893) and Anne Wattson Barrington Hewitt (1819-1907). When he was a child, Hewitt's family moved to Burlington, New Jersey. Hewitt attended Burlington College and returned to Philadelphia to seek a position in an architecture firm. He worked for architect Joseph C. Hoxie from 1857 to 1859, during which time he was involved with several design projects for churches. In 1859, Hewitt transferred to the office of John Notman, where he helped to complete work on St. Clement's church and Parish school at 20th and Cherry streets and Holy Trinity Church at 19th and Walnut streets in Philadelphia. Notman died in 1865, and Hewitt joined the architect John Fraser, where Hewitt helped to complete the construction of the tower for St. Mark's Church, which had been left incomplete when Notman died.
In 1867, Hewitt met architect Frank Furness and that same year they opened a new firm, Fraser, Furness, & Hewitt. Fraser resigned in 1871 when he moved to Washington, D.C. and the firm was renamed Furness & Hewitt. The firm worked on several notable buildings in Philadelphia, banks, churches, and private residences. In 1875, Furness and Hewitt dissolved their partnership and Hewitt began working on his own until he added his brother, William Dempster Hewitt (1847-1924) to the firm in 1878, changing the name to G. W. & W. D. Hewitt, or Hewitt & Hewitt. Towards the end of the 19th century Hewitt moved back to Burlington, NJ and retired from Hewitt & Hewitt in 1907. He passed away in 1916 in Philadelphia, PA and is buried in the churchyard of St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Burlington, NJ.
Among the buildings Hewitt designed or helped to design are the Bellevue-Stratford Hotel, the Philadelphia Bourse, the Bullitt Building, the Library of the University of Pennsylvania, part of the Philadelphia Academy of Fine Arts, the Fourth Street addition to the Fidelity Trust and Safe Deposit Company, a portion of St. James Church, including the tower, a part of Holy Trinity Church, and numerous other buildings.
Hewitt married Elizabeth Gilliams (1842-1887) and they had two children: George Notman Hewitt (1869-1898) and Anne Hewitt (1872-1887). After his wife died, Hewitt married Isabel Rinehart Pugh (1858-1945). His two favorite hobbies were astronomy and photography, both of which he continued to enjoy after his retirement in 1907. Hewitt was a member of the Board of Directors of the Mercantile Library, the president of the Burlington, NJ Library, a member of the Musical Fund Society and the American Institute of Architects, and he was a honorary member of the T-Square Club. Mr. Hewitt was a vestryman of St. Mary's Church in Burlington, NJ.
Bodnar, Sharri. "George Wattson Hewitt." June 26, 2007. Accessed September 7, 2016. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=20110713.
Tatman, Sandra L. "Hewitt, George Wattson (1841-1916)." Accessed September 7, 2016. https://www.philadelphiabuildings.org/pab/app/ar_display.cfm/21977.
George W. Hewitt glass plates, circa 1908-1911, consist of approximately one thousand glass plate positives and negatives from Hewitt's travels in Europe. Many of the slides feature scenes highlighting architectural structures. There are approximately 418 positives and 500 negatives. European countries represented in the collection Amsterdam, Austria, England, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, and other places. Most plates are labeled or were labeled at some point. A partial inventory is available on-site.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2014-2016 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute directly for more information.
- The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Sarah Leu and Anastasia Matijkiw through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute for information about accessing this collection.