Held at: The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute [Contact Us]222 N 20th St, Philadelphia, PA, 19103
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
H. A. (Harry Archer) Hornor was born in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1874 to Joseph Potts Hornor of New York and Harriet Ann McNally of New Orleans, Louisiana. Hornor lived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and was an electrical engineer who worked as an electrical draftsman for the New York Ship Building Corporation in Camden, New Jersey from 1900 to 1905, when he was promoted to head of the electrical engineering department. He served in that role until 1918. He was the head of electrical welding for the Emergency Fleet Corporation of the United States Shipping Board, 1918-1919. After 1919, Hornor spent his time continuing his engineering work, as well as writing for marine and naval technical manuals. Hornor published several papers in various science and engineering journals, including the journal of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers and the Journal of The Franklin Institute, on ship and naval-related electrical engineering topics. He was a member of the Franklin Institute and the Engineers' Club of Philadelphia. On June 3, 1903, Hornor married Marie Killikelly Morse (1874-1949) of Ohio, the daughter Henry Morse and Mary Killikelly. Hornor and his wife are buried at Laurel Hill Cemetery in Philadelphia, PA.
Leonard, John William. "Who's Who in Engineering: A Biographical Dictionary of Contemporaries." New York, NY: Press of Isaac Goldman Company, 1922.
The Harry A. Hornor lantern slides, circa 1900-1920, consist of two hundred and thirty-five lantern slides depicting images of ships, as well as their construction, launches, interiors, mechanics, equipment, and other aspects. There are also images of diagrams, drawings, and schematics related to the electrical engineering aspects of ship building. Each slide measures 3.25" x 4". A detailed inventory is available on-site.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2014-2016 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute directly for more information.
- The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Sarah Leu and Anastasia Matijkiw through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute for information about accessing this collection.