Bucks County Bankers Association records
Held at: Doylestown Historical Society [Contact Us]56 S Main St., Doylestown, Pennsylvania, 18901
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Doylestown Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
A member of the Pennsylvania Bankers Association (organized in 1895), Group Two, the Bucks County Bankers Association was organized in Doylestown, Pennsylvania in 1924. Jesse E. Harper, Cashier of the Yardley National Bank was elected its first president. The first annual meeting was held in Doylestown on February 23, 1925, and was attended by 69 members. At the meeting, a resolution was adopted expressing the Association's opposition to branch banking and an effort was made to limit the interest rate on savings accounts to 3%. The Blue Sky laws, interest rates, road building, and agricultural matters were the principal interests of the organization for the next several years.
During the Great Depression, the Association continued to express its opposition to branch banking, and made efforts to form a county clearinghouse to ensure speedy check collections in order to prevent "check kiting" where checks are misused as a form of credit. In 1933, in accordance with the National Recovery Act, a "county wide service charge schedule was adopted, providing, among other things, that a $50.00 minimum balance entitled the depositor to five checks, any checks in excess of this number to be charged at 3 cents per item." (Cates)
The organization existed at least as late as 2010.
Cates, Elmer C., Secretary. "Thirtieth Annual Meeting." Bucks County Bankers Association: Thirtieth Annual Meeting, Wednesday, May 11, 1955. Found in collection.
"The Bucks County Bankers Association." Bucks County Bankers Association, 1929-1930. Found in collection.
This collection includes correspondence, analyses, meeting minutes, lists of past presidents and officers, clippings, annual meeting programs, and pamphlets.
Gift of Wachovia Bank, 2010.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Doylestown Historical Society directly for more information.
- Doylestown Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Doylestown Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.