Held at: Delaware County Historical Society [Contact Us]408 Avenue of the States, Chester, Pennsylvania, 19013
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Delaware County Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
"The Twentieth Century Club of Lansdowne was organized in 1897 by a small group of women whose objective was to create an organized center of thought and action among women, for the protection of their interests and for the promotion of science, literature and art. Their motto was "Give to the world the best that you have and the best will come back to you."
"In November 1911 the arts and crafts-style assembly building at 84 South Lansdowne Avenue was formally opened by the membership. Designed by the prominent Philadelphia architectural firm of Heacock and Hokanson and constructed by George Grover of Morton, Pennsylvania the building was financed by the members of the club and maintained through dues and rentals.
"After the Borough acquired the building in 1979, the Club became Lansdowne's community center… The Twentieth Century Club is listed on the National Register of Historic Places."
Quoted text from: Twentieth Century Club of Lansdowne. "History." Accessed June 24, 2013. http://twentiethcenturyclub.com/?page_id=6.
This collection includes various records of the Twentieth Century Club of Lansdowne, 1897-1997, such as meeting minutes, membership records, and materials relating to the clubhouse building. A rough inventory is provided below: Annual booklets, 1928-1979 Awards, etc. Bylaws Clippings scrapbook (re-housed), 1937-38 Club calendar, 1951-52 Club directories, circa 1955-1996 Club house materials Congratulatory proclamation from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for club's 100th anniversary, 1997 Histories of the Club History of Twentieth Century Club of Lansdowne, 1948-1967 Incorporation papers (Charter) Membership list, 1944-58 Minutes of the Evening Section, 1937-42, 1987-92 Minutes National Historic Register Nomination forms, 1978 Photograph of members, circa 1940
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Delaware County Historical Society directly for more information.
- Delaware County Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Delaware County Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.