Delaware County High Schools Track and Field Championships records
Held at: Delaware County Historical Society [Contact Us]408 Avenue of the States, Chester, Pennsylvania, 19013
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Delaware County Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The annual Delaware County High Schools Track and Field Championships, co-sponsored by the Union Athletic Association of Lansdowne and Lansdowne-Aldan High School, began in 1924. Any high school in Delaware County was eligible to enter, and the event was usually held at Lansdowne-Aldan High School's Stewart Field.
One of the oldest Lansdowne community organizations, the Union Athletic Association of Lansdowne was founded in 1904. A sporting and civic organization whose goal was to inspire a sense of patriotism and demonstrate the benefits of competitive sports for the youth of Lansdowne, the club sponsored community Memorial Day and Fourth of July observances, baseball, basketball and football teams, and tennis courts. As of 2013, the Union Athletic Association exists solely to organize Lansdowne's July 4th celebration.
Union Athletic Association of Lansdowne. "About Union AA." Accessed July 8, 2013. http://www.unionaa.org/about.html
This collection consists mostly of score sheets from the Delaware County High Schools Track and Field Championships, held at Lansdowne-Aldan High School's Stewart Field. Also included is some correspondence with participating high schools and event programs.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Delaware County Historical Society directly for more information.
- Delaware County Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Delaware County Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.