Spencer Stationery Company records
Held at: Delaware County Historical Society [Contact Us]408 Avenue of the States, Chester, Pennsylvania, 19013
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Delaware County Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Spencer Stationary Company opened in Chester, Delaware County, Pennsylvania in 1899 and remained in operation for over 75 years. John Spencer and his nephew Richard Royal Spencer co-founded the business. Richard assumed full ownership of the company in 1913, three years before he passed away. He left the company to his sons, Owen and Howard. Owen, confined to a wheelchair because of polio, concentrated on the finances and management of the business. His brother Howard was in charge of sales. The family sold the company in 1985.
"Spencer Stationery Celebrates 75th Year." Delaware County Daily Times, February 26, 1974.
This collection consists principally of records of Spencer Stationary Company, with a small amount of Spencer family papers. A rough inventory of the company records is as follows: Articles of Incorporation Building, 523 Avenue of the States Building, 523 Avenue of the States, sale 1988 Employee attendance records Employee earnings records, 1970-1981 Employee records - various dates Employee records, c1918 Insurance Letterheads, etc. Mortgages Partnership Agreements, etc. Payroll, etc. Sale of company, 1985 Sales 1962-1967 Various financial records, 1900s to 1950s Various financial records, 1954 to 1970s
A rough inventory of the family papers is as follows: Family Wills and Estate Papers Howard M. Spencer property in Nether Providence Miscellaneous Philip H. Spencer - personal Philip H. Spencer - Swarthmore College
Gift of Philip Spencer, 2009 (accession 2010.09).
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Delaware County Historical Society directly for more information.
- Delaware County Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Employee records may be restricted. Contact Delaware County Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.