Held at: Delaware County Historical Society [Contact Us]408 Avenue of the States, Chester, Pennsylvania, 19013
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Delaware County Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Lansdowne School was constructed by the Upper Darby School Board in the late 1880s on Baltimore and Highland Avenues in Lansdowne, Delaware County, Pennsylvania. (Prior to the Borough of Lansdowne's incorporation in 1893, the Upper Darby School Board administered schools for the area's residents.) Students from kindergarten through twelfth grade were educated there. Several additions up until 1910 enlarged the school; the building was demolished in stages from 1950 to 1986. The Lansdowne Fire Company's headquarters was built on the land where the school once stood.
Schultz, Matthew. Views of Lansdowne. Images of America. Charleston, S.C.: Arcadia, 1996. Page 61. Accessed July 8, 2013. http://books.google.com/books?id=YCMD4JkjpV0C.
This collection is organized into two series: pupil directory and report cards. The pupil directory, 1911-1925, takes the form of a card file with a card for each student at the Lansdowne School. The cards are filed alphabetically within years. The amount of information on each student varies by year, but generally includes name, parents' names, birth date, address, and date of admission. The report cards, 1907-1914, are also in alphabetical order by student name within each year. The cards record each student's name, teacher's name, and grades for the year.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Delaware County Historical Society directly for more information.
- Delaware County Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Delaware County Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.