Held at: Delaware County Historical Society [Contact Us]408 Avenue of the States, Chester, Pennsylvania, 19013
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Delaware County Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
"Darby Borough, PA, the settlement village on Darby and Cobbs Creek was once a part of Darby Township which was partitioned to create several Delaware County Boroughs and Townships. Darby had its first Town Meeting in 1683 and was incorporated in 1853. Settled by Quakers in 1681-82, it quickly became an industrial and business center. Darby Borough played an important part in the development of Delaware County, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the United States."
The Darby Borough Historical and Preservation Society was organized in May of 1997 "to Preserve, Document and Educate concerning the history of Darby Borough, Pennsylvania." Its goals include restoring the Bunting Freedom House, an Underground Railroad Station; turning 1000 Main Street into a tourist center and repository for borough records; and ensuring that other historic sites in the borough are protected with proper ordinances and zoning regulations. The organization is still active as of 2013.
The Darby Borough Historical and Preservation Society. "Preserve, Document, Educate." Accessed July 2, 2013. http://www.delcohistory.org/darby/.
The collection includes copies of photographs and documents, computer print-outs of articles and narrative histories, newspaper clippings, printed materials including newsletters and ephemera, and genealogy research, with a very small amount of original materials such as scrapbooks, all relating to the history of Darby Borough and surrounding areas. There are some artifacts and published books mixed in with the collection.
On deposit from the Darby Borough Historical and Preservation Society.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Delaware County Historical Society directly for more information.
- Delaware County Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Delaware County Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.