Needlework Guild of America, Conshohocken Branch records
Held at: Conshohocken Historical Society [Contact Us]120 E. 5th Avenue, Conshohocken, PA, 19428
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Conshohocken Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Needlework Guild of America is a charitable organization that collects and distributes articles of clothing to the needy. It was founded in Philadelphia in 1885, and later incorporated in Pennsylvania in 1896.
"Since that time, NGA has helped many needy neighbors. [NGA has] also helped those in need during the Spanish-American War, the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake, World War I and II, Hurricane Andrew, Hurricane Floyd, and Hurricane Katrina. Today [the] organization is affiliated with over 170 non-profit charities across the United States and distributes over 240,000 items each year. NGA has 33 Branches in ten different states, as well as National Headquarters located in Warminster, Pennsylvania. In July of 2011, [its] official name was changed to NGA ~ Needlework Guild of America."
The Conshohocken branch of the NGA was organized on September 17, 1894. It disbanded circa 1998.
NGA. "About Us." Accessed February 24, 2012. http://www.nga-inc.org/index_files/Page362.htm
This collection consists of minutes, roll books, correspondence, and photographs. A detailed inventory is provided below:
90th and 95th Anniversary Photos, 1984-1989
Annual Ingathering meeting flyers, 1971-1986
Assorted letters regarding Needlework Guild business, 1976-1980
Assorted letters regarding Needlework Guild business, 1984-1996
Blank Membership Cards,
Copy of Certificate of Registration with Dept of State; expires 5/14/1993, -
Director's/Contributor's Records, 1997-2001
Minutes, 11/20/1918 to 4/4/1931
Minutes, 9/28/1932 to 11/11/1971
Meeting Minutes, 1972-2001
Needlework Meeting Minutes, 1983-1995
Roll Book, 1922 -11/13/1958
Roll Book, 1954 - 1976
Gift of members at time of the Guild's disbandment, circa 1998.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2011-2012 as part of a pilot project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Conshohocken Historical Society directly for more information.
- Conshohocken Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Conshohocken Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.