Held at: Aston Township Historical Society [Contact Us]c/o Aston Community Center, 3270 Concord Road, Aston, PA, 19014
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Aston Township Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The area that is known as Aston Township was incorporated as a township of Chester County in 1688 and became a part of Delaware County when the latter county was established in 1789. Known as Northley until 1687, the township's name was reportedly changed to Aston by the constable as an homage to his former home in Oxfordshire, England. Mount Hope Methodist Church, the first church on record in Aston, was built in 1807. During the 19th century, Aston was home to various mills along Chester Creek, including cotton, wool, and paper mills. Eventually, low water and freezing temperatures led to the mills ceasing operations. Several small villages in Aston, including Aston Mills, Village Green, and Rockdale, had their own post offices in the 19th century.
Since the 19th century, Aston's boundaries have been altered multiple times. In 1842, a portion of Aston Township was annexed to nearby Thornbury Township. As the result of a proposed tax increase in 1945, residents in the northwestern part of Aston seceded from the township to form the Borough of Chester Heights. Sometime between 1958 and 1960, the area known as Bridgewater Farms in nearby Chester Township became part of Aston Township, although the children in this area had to attend schools in Chester Township for another ten years.
In the 20th century, a number of institutions were established in Aston to support the needs of its residents. Our Lady of Angels College, a liberal arts college for young women, was established by the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia in 1965. It's name was changed to Neumann College in 1980 when the college became co-educational, and again in 2009 to Neumann University when it achieved university status. The Aston Township Library was founded in 1977. Twenty years later, the library moved into the Aston Community Center to accommodate its need for more space. The Community Center is also home to the Aston Township Historical Society, founded in 1993 to "promote efforts to identify, preserve, and enhance the properties of historical value or interest to the residents of Aston Township; to collect historical information and material and maintain archives; to provide education, information, and other associated services; and to preserve the Village Green School on Pennell Road." As of 2015, Aston continues to operate as a close-knit community, celebrating various anniversaries of its community institutions and organizations and communicating with its residents through its local newsletter, the Township Times established in 2005.
Quoted text from: Aston Township Historical Society. "By-Laws." Viewed in collection October 30, 2015.
Dougherty, Paul L. and Ruth M. Ross. "History of Aston." Aston Township. Accessed December 4, 2015. http://astontownship.net/about-aston-pa/history-of-aston-township/.
This collection consists of administrative records, 1993-2015, from the Aston Township Historical Society. The records are arranged chronologically in binders and include by-laws, meeting minutes general meetings and committee meetings, agendas, treasurer reports, newsletters, membership attendance, and press releases.
There are two additional binders in the collection, a members binder and a collection records binder. The members binder contains membership lists and applications, blank membership cards, and member contact information. The collection records binder contains inventories, inventory notes, information relating to donations and loan agreements, and photocopies of newspaper clippings related to the collection or specific items in the collection. Much of the information in the collection records binder was gathered from Paul Dougherty, a founding member of the Aston Township Historical Society.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2014-2016 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Aston Township Historical Society directly for more information.
- Aston Township Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Sarah Leu and Anastasia Matijkiw through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Aston Township Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.