Held at: Science History Institute Archives [Contact Us]315 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Science History Institute Archives. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
W. W. Gibbs founded the Electric Storage Battery Company in 1888 using patents purchased from the French inventor Clement Payen. These ideas were then developed into the Chloride Accumulator which allowed for the development of batteries that could power streetcars, railway cars and even submarines. The arrival of electric taxis at the dawn of the 20th Century led to the development of the 2Excellent Oxide3 or Exide battery, which in turn become the corporate name. Today the company is known as Exide Technologies.
This is a 253 page carbon copy of a typescript of convention proceedings bound in a 9 x11 black cloth cover. The pages are not consecutively numbered, suggesting that individual documents were collected and bound after the fact and some pages seem to be missing. Documents collected include an opening address by Herbert Lloyd, President of The Electric Storage Battery Company, Charles Elizard, Manager of the Sales Department, W. G. Henderson, Treasurer and A.B. Stoughton, Esq., the Company Counsel. Some of the pages have begun to fade. This in an interesting document giving a blow-of-blow description of sales strategies for a company that was on the verge of breaking out.
Source of acquisition--Ray Jardin. Method of acquisition--Gift;.
- Science History Institute Archives