Main content

The Papers of Charles M. Judson, incorporating the Papers of Harold F. Wiley and the Records of Consolidated Electrodynamics Corporation

Notifications

Held at: Science History Institute Archives [Contact Us]315 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Science History Institute Archives. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Overview and metadata sections

Consolidated Electrodynamics Corporation was founded by Herbert Hoover, Jr. in 1938. Originally intended to be a manufacturer of mining equipment the company became involved in the application of mass spectrometry as a prospecting tool. Harold F. Wiley joined the company in 1939 as a sales manager and rose to become Director of Research and Development. Charles M. Judson joined CEC in 1962 and became their Chief Engineer. Both Wiley and Judson remained with CEC until the company folded in 1970.

This collection contains a variety of materials: letters notebooks, reports, corporate documents, patents and blueprints. Of special interest is a large collection of reprints documenting the historical development of mass spectrometry as a research tool.

For a more detailed inventory, please view this record in our library catalog: https://othmerlib.sciencehistory.org/record=b1043345~S6

This collection contains professional records of Charles M. Judson, and his former supervisor Harold F. Wiley. Wiley's papers in turn include the surviving business records of the Consolidated Electrodynamics Corporation, a leading American manufacturer of mass spectrometers. The material was amassed by Judson for a never-written history of the commercial development of mass spectrometry.

The Papers of Harold F. Wiley were entrusted to Charles M. Judson after Wiley's death by his widow. Judson's papers in turn have been donated to the Chemical Heritage Foundation by his daughters.

Publisher
Science History Institute Archives

Collection Inventory

Print, Suggest