Quakertown Monthly Meeting (1961- ) Records
Held at: Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Bethlehem Monthly Meeting was established in 1744 by Burlington Quarterly Meeting out of Chesterfield Monthly Meeting. From 1748 to 1859, the name of this monthly meeting was Kingwood. In 1786, the monthly meeting was transferred from Philadelphia Yearly Meeting to New York Yearly Meeting. The Orthodox branch of this meeting was discontinued in 1828, and its members were transferred to Rahway and Plainfield Monthly Meeting. In 1832, Kingwood Monthly Meeting (Hicksite) returned to Philadelphia Yearly Meeting. In 1859, the meeting became known as Quakertown. It was discontinued in 1905 and its members attached to Buckingham Monthly Meeting. This meeting, the second Quakertown Monthly Meeting, was established in 1961 out of Quakertown Indulged Meeting by Bucks Quarterly Meeting. Quakertown Monthly Meeting is currently active.
Records of Quakertown Monthly Meeting, 1930-2022, includes annual reports, minutes from meeting for business, and property and incorporation papers (including the deed for the first Quakertown Monthly Meeting). Also includes digital records related to a historic marker for the Nixon Graveyard and a nearby burial ground for enslaved people.
With the exception of the 1930 indenture inherited and then deposited by the current Quakertown Monthly Meeting (1961- ), all records related to the first Quakertown Monthly Meeting are described separately in QM-Ph-Q300.
- Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Finding Aid Author
- PATRICIA C. O'DONNELL
- Finding Aid Date
- Use Restrictions
Copyright has not been assigned to the Repositories All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.
Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.
1 folderMaterial Specific Details
(19) digital files (PDF)Material Specific Details
PDF/As of minutes of monthly meeting for business. There are no minutes for April and May 2020, when Quakertown Monthly Meeting was shut down for COVID restrictions.Physical Description
27 files in 3 folders
(1) digital file (PDF)Material Specific Details
Annual report for 2020 presented in February 2021.Physical Description
1 PDF/A file
In 2021, Quakertown Friends Meeting sponsored the installation of a historic marker. The marker tells the history of the Nixon Graveyard, a 1764 burial ground established by Quakers for non-members, and the former (unnamed) burial ground across the street that had been used for enslaved people. In contrast to the Nixon Graveyard, where "names of those interred [...] are prominently etched," the markers for the burial ground across the street were torn up by the mid-1800s and the graves plowed over with no records of those who had been buried there.Physical Description
6 pdf/a files
Includes two deeds: the 1930 indenture related to the two tracts once held by the first Quakertown Monthly Meeting (1859-1905), that were transfered to Doylestown National Bank as trustee on behalf of Buckinham Quarterly Meeting; the 1974 deed returning that title to the second Quakertown Monthly Meeting (1961- ).Physical Description