Garden Club of Philadelphia Members' gardens lantern slide collection
Held at: Pennsylvania Horticultural Society [Contact Us]McLean Library, 100 N. 20th Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19103
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
"The Garden Club of America was established in 1913 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, when the Garden Club of Philadelphia and eleven other garden clubs met to create a national garden club. Its purpose is to foster the knowledge and love of gardening and to restore and protect the quality of the environment through educational programs and gardening and conservation efforts. The GCA was incorporated in Delaware in 1923, with its headquarters established in New York City. Today, local clubs are organized under twelve regional zones. The GCA continues its tradition of hosting flower shows and publishing material related to gardening in the United States."
Bibliography: The above historical note was taken directly from the Smithsonian Institute’s Archives of American Gardens finding aid for Garden Club of America Collection, which is available online: http://www.gardens.si.edu/horticulture/res_ed/AAG/coll-gca.htm
This collection consists of 205 glass lantern slides, donated by the Garden Club of America, of Philadelphia area gardens and homes, including Andalusia, Stenton, Highlands, and Ludington. The collection also contains several portraits of notable Philadelphians and horticulturists and landscape plans. Included are 35mm slide reproductions of many of the lantern slides. The lantern slides date from the year 1930. The collection is arranged alphabetically.
There are multiple slides relating to Mrs. John Barnes Townsend, Mrs. Frederick W. Taylor, Mrs. C. Frederick C. Stout, Mrs. Isaac T. Starr, Mrs. Charles S. Starr (probably Marjorie Russell), Caroline Sinkler (1860-1949), Mrs. J. Clifford Rosengarten, Mrs. William R. Mercer (Martha Dana Mercer), Mrs. Stacy B. Lloyd (probably Rachel Lowe Lambert Lloyd Mellon), and Mrs. Robert Glendenning. Slides of early plans of Philadelphia, the John Bartram home, and Abington Friends Meeting House are also included in this collection. Sites documented include Dawesfield, Graeme Park, Johnson House, Lafayette at Barren Hill, Brookmead Farm and Ludington.
If there is a 35 mm slide reproductin, it is noted in the title as [35 mm].
This collection is rich in images and will prove valuable to researchers interested in the American Garden Club, prominent Philadelphia gardeners, Philadelphia gardens, and the landscape of Philadelphia, generally, during the 1930s.
This collection was donated in parts, by Emily Read Cheston and the Garden Club of America.
- Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
- Finding Aid Date
- The creation of the electronic guide for this collection was made possible through generous funding from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, administered through the Council on Library and Information Resources’ “Cataloging Hidden Special Collections and Archives” Project. Finding aid entered into the Archivists' Toolkit by Garrett Boos.
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research use.
- Use Restrictions
Copyright restrictions may apply. Please contact the Archives with requests for copying and for authorization to publish, quote or reproduce the material.