Sallie Marx Papers
Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Sallie Marx (1929 -2013), was a long time activist in New York City and was a war tax resister for over four decades. Marx was a co-founder of the New York Peoples Life Fund in 1971. The NYPLF redirected funds to social justice and community building efforts in New York.
The collection includes transcripts from three audiotape reels of interviewees (draft resisters/Americans in Canada in exile during the Vietnam War, some of whom chose to use only their first names) including: Dee Knight, the Pockocks, Jerry Friedland, George Cohon, Cliff Spires, Gary, Tina & Chuck, John Alexander, Howie & Cathie Prince, Jim Riordan, Anna Mallin, David & Diana Sells, Gail Petrie, Carol Belford, Spires family, Ned Jacobs, David McCaughna, Jack Calhoun, Pat Silvers, Doris Mahegan; also includes manuscript by Sallie Marx: "A Deserter Next Door.".
This collection is unprocessed and remains in the order in which it was donated.
Gift of the Estate of Sallie Marx and Joanie Hieger Zosike, 2017 [Acc 2017-037].
- Conscientious Objectors -- Canada -- History -- Sources
- Conscientious Objectors -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Conscientious Objectors -- Canada -- Sources
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Conscientious Objectors -- United States -- Sources
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Draft resisters -- Canada -- Sources
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Draft resisters -- United States -- Sources
- Americans -- Canada -- History -- Sources
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Access Restrictions
Researchers using these materials must sign a form agreeing to anonymize personal information from Marx's interviews with Vietnam War draft resisters in any publications. This restriction is in place until January 1, 2056. For more information, contact the Swarthmore College Peace Collection at email@example.com.
- Copyright to resources created by Sallie Marx has been transferred to the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Copyright to all other materials is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
2 foldersPhysical Description
4 foldersPhysical Description