Neil Wollman Papers
Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Neil Wollman (1950 - ) is a peace activist and psychologist, with a B.A. in political science from Northwestern University, a M.A. in psychology from California State University, Fullerton, and a Ph.D. in psychology from Virginia Commonwealth University. He retired after 29 years as professor of psychology and Senior Fellow of The Peace Studies Institute at Manchester College (North Manchester, Indiana). He has been a Senior Fellow with Bentley Alliance for Ethics and Social Responsibility (Bentley College, Massachusetts), joint project director of the National Index of Violence and Harm. Beginning ca. 1984, Wollman began to pressure Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association-College Retirement Equities Fund (TIAA-CREF) to engage in socially responsible investing, including divesting from companies that did business in South Africa or built nuclear weapons. Wollman helped to form the Make TIAA-CREF Ethical Coalition, which has since broadened its scope of activism to include other large institutional investors. Wollman is the the author of the Graduation Pledge of Social and Environmental Responsibility (www.graduationpledge.org), and iscurrently involved with Kids Can make A Difference "to inspire students to realize that it is within their power to help eliminate hunger and poverty in their communities, country and world."
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is the official repository for these papers/records.
Gift of Neil Wollman, 2009 [Acc. 09A-002].
This collection remains unprocessed. This finding aid was created by Declan White and Wendy Chmielewski, August 2011.
- Audiocassette Tapes
- Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association
- College Retirement Equities Fund
- Make TIAA-CREF Ethical Coalition
- Peace-building -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Peace Movements -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Pension trusts -- Investments -- History -- Sources
- Investments -- Moral and ethical aspects -- History -- Sources
- Investments -- Social aspects -- History -- Sources
- Social change -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Social action -- United States -- History -- Sources
- College teachers -- Pensions -- United States States -- History -- Sources
- College teachers -- Retirement -- United States States -- History -- Sources
- Pacifists -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Access Restrictions
- Copyright ownership to all material is retained by the authors of items in this collection, or by their descendents, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
- Use Restrictions