Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Formed in 1969 as a project of the American Friends Service Committee; located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. NARMIC served as a resource for journalists, educators and students, the religious community, peace organizations, and concerned citizens from the U.S., Canada, and overseas by providing information about the role of the military-industrial complex in American society. NARMIC staff performed research on production and distribution of U.S. military technology and weaponry, U.S. military and economic policies, U.S. military buildups in foreign countries, defense contractors, and U.S. exports of high technology. NARMIC had a special library of over 40,000 documents and a computerized database; published books, study guides, information sheets, reports, slide shows, and documentary films. The organization ceased operation in October 1990.
The collection includes correspondence and program files re: the Vietnam War, chemical/biological warfare, nuclear power, the B-1 bomber, U.S. aid, and domestic counter-insurgency. The collection consisted of 64 feet until it was processed in December 2008. At that time 55 feet of reference material, primarily newsclippings from major U.S. newspapers and items duplicating that which is already held by the SCPC, was discarded. Note that this collection is only partially processed, with not everything in the reference material boxes being foldered at this point.
Much of the NARMIC collection resides at the archives of the American Friends Service Committee in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is not know why the full collection was not given to the SCPC when the reference files etc. were donated.
The collection is arranged first by primary material, followed by reference material.
Gift of NARMIC, 1976-1990; gift of Elaine Emling, 1993.
Processed by Anne Yoder, December 2008; updated by Wendy E. Chmielewski January 2010.
- Published booklets moved to the Book Collection
- 10 photos taken at Rocky Mountain Arsenal in Denver -- Photograph Collection
- "Acceptable Risk" 1980-- see Audiovisual Collection: multimedia kit 001
- "Automated Air War," 1972 -- see Audiovisual Collection: multimedia kit 003 and phonograph record 0059
- "The Post-War War," 1973 -- see Audiovisual Collection: slide show 0043 and audiocassette 0594
- "Taking Charge: the Struggle for Economic Justice," 1983 -- see Audiovisual Collection: slide show 0048 and audiocassette 0597
- "Whose Budget Is It Anyway?," 1986 -- see Audiovisual Collection: slide show 0056 and audiocassette 0602
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Access Restrictions
- Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendents, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
- Use Restrictions