SCI International Voluntary Service (U.S.) Records
Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Established around 1956 by Robert Stowell and others as an American affiliate of Service Civil International (founded in Europe in 1920 by Pierre Ceresole) with goals of voluntary service, self-discipline, and international friendship; U.S. national office located successively in Cabot, Vermont, Wheatland, Wyoming, and Chicago, Illinois; has also called itself International Voluntary Service (also the name of the British affiliate); this usage was discontinued to avoid confusion with another group of a similar name located in Washington D.C.; operated approximately 87 workcamps between 1954 and 1974; arranged short-term workcamp assignments overseas and a small number of long-term and conscientious objector placements; suspended operation in the mid-1970s, but was revived in the mid-1980s by a group of former SCI volunteers located in Crozet, Virginia.
Includes correspondence, administrative files, financial records, recruitment, orientation and membership files, periodicals, published materials, photographs of starvation in Biafra, and publications from the International Secretariat and affiliates in other countries. Correspondents include Dorothy Day, David Dellinger, Robert Gaebler, A.J. Muste, and Robert Stowell.
This collection remains in the order in which it was donated.
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is the official repository for these papers/records.
Gift of Robert Gaebler, 1987 [Acc. 87A-083].
This collection is unprocessed and remains in the order in which it was donated. This finding aid was created by Amanda by Amanda Cardillo June 2012.
- SCI International Voluntary Service (U.S.)
- International Voluntary Service
- Service Civil International. American Group
- Voluntarism -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Volunteers -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Internationalism -- History -- Sources
- Conscientious objection -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Access Restrictions
- Copyright may have been transferred to the Swarthmore College Peace Collection or may have been retained by the creators/authors (or their descendents), in this collection, as stipulated by United States copyright law. Please contact the SCPC Curator for further information.
- Use Restrictions