Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Inter-Parliamentary Union was organized in 1889 by Randal Cremer (England) and Frédéric Passy (France) as an association of members of the national legislative bodies of the world. It was established to secure cooperation of countries to work toward peace by means of a universal organization of nations; initially for individual parliamentarians, but since transformed into an international organization of the parliaments of sovereign states. By 1921 it was headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland, with over one hundred national parliaments as members.
Includes materials about the IPU and its annual conferences, and publications; and on the Committee on Economic and Social Questions, 1946.
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is not the official repository for the records of the Inter-Parliamentary Union.
Materials received from various sources.
Processed by SCPC staff; checklist prepared by Anne Yoder, Dec. 1997; revised June 2005; added to September 2016.
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Access Restrictions
- Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendents, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
- Use Restrictions
Article "Fourth Interparliamentary Conference of Peace" by Belva A. Lockwood ("The American Journal of Politics", November 1892, p. 506-513)