Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Pacifist Service Units; PSU; registered in Great Britain under the War Charities Act, 1940; formed to provide opportunities for social service to pacifists who wished to express their beliefs in a practical way; approximately fourteen full-time units were established, nine in London and others in cities around Great Britain; units were maintained by contributions from members and friends and were directed by an annually elected board of officers and a general committee. The units engaged primarily in social work among the most deprived families; ceased operation on September 30th, 1946; in 1947, they were continued as Family Service Units. The PSU was independent of the Pacifist Service Bureau, although the two shared the same London office.
Records. arranged chronologically.
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is not the official repository for the papers of the Pacifist Service Units.
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research without restrictions.