Students for a Democratic Society Collected Records
Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Students for a Democratic Society was a successor to the Student League for Industrial Democracy, founded in 1930, which had merged with the National Student Union to form the American Student Union. A quiescent period followed World War II, but the 1960s saw a revival by new activist radicals, including James Farmer, who was a chairman of the Congress of Racial Equality. In 1964, the SDS outlined its ideals in the Port Huron Statement. It rejected Marxism and envisioned an established democracy consisting of individuals participating in social decision-making processes.
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is not the official repository for the records of this organization.
Records of this organization are held in the State Historical Society of Wisconsin, Contemporary Social Action Collection.
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection