Peace Forum Collected Records
Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Peace Forum was organized by residents of Montgomery County, Pennsylvania in 1982. It was first known as the Committee for a Nuclear Free Community. Early projects of the group included efforts to get the Montgomery County Council to declare the county a Nuclear Free Zone. Organizers of the CNFC were also involved in national and local campaigns to elect candidates who were in favor of a Nuclear Freeze. In 1988 CNFC members organized the first of a series of successful peace fairs, known as the Cheltenham Peace Fairs, to spread awareness on the issue of a nuclear freeze. Annual fairs were held through the summer of 1991. In the fall of that year the group changed its name to Peace Forum. The newly-named group decided to hold several community events each year, instead of one large Fair. However, support had fallen away and by September of 1993 Peace Forum closed and distributed its remaining funds to several peace and social justice organizations in the Philadelphia area.
This collection includes administrative files, correspondence, minutes of meetings, material about the peace fairs, and photographs.
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is not the official repository for these papers/records.
Gift of Mary Scafidi, 1997.
For the catalog record for this collection, and to find materials on similar topics, search the library's online catalog
Collection processed and checklist prepared by Wendy Chmielewski, April 1998; this finding aid revised by Eleanor Fulvio, August 2010.
- Buttons removed to the Button/Pin/Ribbon Collection
- Oversized documents and graphics removed to the Oversized Items Collection
- Photos removed to the Photograph Collection
- Stickers removed to the Stamp/Sticker/Envelope Collection
- "Freeze Voter '84", "Our Best Weapon Against Nuclear War" [Common Cause], and "Freeze" removed to the Periodical Collection
- Antinuclear movement -- Pennsylvania -- Montgomery County -- History -- Sources
- Nuclear-weapon-free zones -- Pennsylvania -- Montgomery County -- History -- Sources
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Access Restrictions
- Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendents, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
- Use Restrictions
clippings about specific Peace Fairs are filed with that year