Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Organized on November 6, 1950 in Chicago, Illinois as the Methodist Pacifist Fellowship; a second committee organized again in Chicago on January 14, 1952 as the Fellowship of Methodist Pacifists, but both names had been used interchangeably since 1950; organizers included Henry Hitt Crane, John Swomley, and H.D. Bollinger; the organization declined through the mid-1960s, when it was revived as the Methodist Peace Fellowship, dealing with conscientious objection issues with the Vietnam War. (There is another Methodist Peace Fellowship in Great Britain, organized in 1933. There appears to have been a pre-World War II effort to organize an American "Methodist Peace Fellowship" spearheaded by Charles F. Boss, but it is not known if it was ever actually organized in the U.S.). The Methodist Peace Fellowship is an unofficial group of Methodist Christians which includes all denominations in the Wesleyan tradition.
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is not the official repository for the records of this organization.
- Methodist Peace Fellowship (U.S.)
- Fellowship of Methodist Pacifists (U.S.)
- Methodist Pacifist Fellowship (U.S.)
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research without restrictions.