Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Association, organized in 1905 at Goshen College Indiana by peace-church college people, conducted conferences to promote peace and arbitration. Oratorical contests were held, prizes awarded, and the winners' essays published. The oratorical contests were limited during the war years. In 1943 upon the deaths of Mary and Helen Seabury (the primary benefactors of the prizes) the name of the organization changed to the Intercollegiate Peace Speech Association. However, there is no evidence of the existence of the Association after 1950.
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is not the official repository for the records of this organization.
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection