Council for Correspondence Collected Records
Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Founded in 1960 at a meeting at Bear Mountain, New York; originally named the Committee of Correspondence, in the tradition of the Committees of Correspondence of the American Revolution; headquartered in New York, N.Y.; formed to give Americans an intellectual forum to speak and work against the nuclear arms race which had been precipitated by the Cold War between the United States and the Soviet Union and their allies; changed name to Council for Correspondence in 1962 to avoid confusion with another group of the same name. Members of the original council were: John C. Bollens, Stephen G. Cary, William Davidon, Jerome Frank, Erich Fromm, Robert W. Gilmore, Cecil Hinshaw, H. Stuart Hughes, William R. Huntington, Russell Johnson, Sidney Lens, Robert J. Lifton, Michael Maccoby, Lenore Marshall, Stewart Meacham, Everett Mendelsohn, A.J. Muste, Clarence E. Pickett, Robert Pickus, Marcus Raskin, David Riesman, Mulford Sibley, John Swomley, Harold Taylor, and Norman J. Whitney; issued a newsletter, later (July-Aug. 1963) titled The Correspondent, published in Cambridge, Mass. until at least 1965.
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is not the official repository for the records of this organization.
- Council for Correspondence (Cambridge, Mass.)
- Committee of Correspondence (New York, N.Y. : 1960-1962)
- Nuclear arms control -- History -- Sources
- Nuclear weapons -- History -- Sources
- Arms race -- History -- 20th century -- Sources
- Cold War -- History -- Sources
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection