Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Biosophical Institute, inspired by the teachings of Spinoza, was founded by Dr. Frederick Kettner. Peace principles played a prominent part in this movement. Kettner described biosophy as "The science of the inner life which has its roots in the eternal nature of the universe and of man, teaching us how to come to the consciousness and practice of cosmic principles, laws, and qualities, which are essential to individual wellbeing and freedom and to the creation of an ethical-social fellowhsip."
Kettner founded the Spinoza Study Group circa 1924, Committee of Spinoza Lovers circa 1926, Spinoza Institute of America in 1928, and the Spinoza Center in 1929, all of which were combined to form the Biosophical Institute.
Kettner and the Biosophical of sponsored the Secretary of the Peace League, which was a subsidairy to the Institute.
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is not the official repository for the records of this organization.
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection