American Friends of the Middle East Collected Records
Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
American Friends of the Middle East was founded in 1951. The organization first had its headquarters New York City and moved to Washington, DC in 1959. It is a membership-based organization formed to promote understanding and friendship between the people of the Middle East and the United States. They provided specialized services in the fields of technical training, educational and cultural exchange in the Arab countries including North Africa; published magazines, newsletters, books and pamphlets; issued booklists and sponsored a lending library; sponsored lectureship exchange, goodwill missions, practical industrial training, and other intercultural exchanges between the US and Middle Eastern countries; and operated a student affairs program to develop student leadership. Dorothy Thompson was a founder and president of the first Board of Directors and Garland Evans Hopkins was Vice-President.
Includes correspondence, annual reports, brochures, program literature, and newsletters.
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is not the official repository for the records of the American Friends of the Middle East.
The materials were removed from the Robert Wallace Gilmore Papers (DG 163) in October 1994.
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research use.
- Use Restrictions