Held at: Philadelphia Museum of Art Archives [Contact Us]Philadelphia Museum of Art, PO Box 7646, Philadelphia, PA 19101-7646
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Philadelphia Museum of Art Archives. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Charles Whitenack was hired as the first staff photographer in 1920, and remained until 1956 when he was succeeded by Alfred J. Wyatt. Wyatt was photographer until leaving in 1976. Under these two photographers, the Department of Photography grew and performed such functions as photographing the collections and making photographs for Museum and outside publications.
This small record group consists of a file of general correspondence, followed by subject folders arranged alphabetically.
These materials were arranged and described by Merle Chamberlain and Louise F. Rossmassler in 1987. Revised 2007. Funded by a grant from The Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation.
- Philadelphia Museum of Art Archives
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Merle Chamberlain and Louise F. Rossmassler(12/31/87). Revised 2007.
- Finding Aid Date
- Funded by a grant from The Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open for research.
- Use Restrictions
The Photography Department Records are the physical property of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Archives. The Museum holds literary rights only for material created by Museum personnel or given to the Museum with such rights specifically assigned. For all other material, literary rights, including copyright, belong to the authors or their legal heirs and assigns. Researchers are responsible for obtaining permission from rights holders for publication and for other purposes where stated.
0.5 linear foot