James D. B. Weiss, Jr. collection of hospital and miscellaneous genealogical records
Held at: Historical Society of Pennsylvania [Contact Us]1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19107
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The first meeting of the founders of the Hospital of the Protestant Episcopal Church occurred in March 1851, though it would be some time before the hospital was unveiled. In March 1852, the members were given the former estate of John Leamy, Esq., which they suitably converted. The Hospital of the Protestant Episcopal Church (also known as the Protestant Episcopal Church Hospital) officially opened to the public in December 1852. Records in the collection from the Hospital of the Protestant Episcopal Church are primarily annual reports (also titled "Reports to the Board of Managers") dating from the 1850s to 1914. Some years are missing, so please see Boxes 2-5 in the collection inventory. Box 2, Folder 1 contains a copy of the hospital's charter and by-laws from 1851.
St. Mary's Hospital was founded in 1860 by the Order of the Sisters of St. Francis, who wished to assist the sick poor of Kensington. It was first located on the northeast corner of 4th Street and Girard Avenue; but in 1866, the hospital moved to the corner of the Frankford Road and Palmer Street. The hospital was very successful -- almost 16,000 patients had passed through its doors by the mid 1860s. The facility still stands and is today known as the Neumann Medical Center. This collection contains two items from St. Mary's: a patient register from the early to mid 20th century (Box 6) and a daybook dating from the mid 1880s to mid 1890s (Volume 1). Please note that the patient register, because it contains sensitive 20th century records, is closed to researchers until 21 January 2021.
In addition to these hospital records, the Weiss collection contains a single folder (Box 1, Folder 1) of miscellaneous genealogical papers pertaining primarily to the Stoehr family of Philadelphia.
Gift of James D. B. Weiss Jr., 2011.
Accession number 2011.054.
- Historical Society of Pennsylvania
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Cary Hutto.
- Finding Aid Date
- ; 2012
- Processing made possible by a generous donation from Dan and Donnamarie Dailey.
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open for research except for the patient's register (Box 6), which is closed to researchers until January 1, 2021, due to the sensitive nature of the records.
Volume 1 may become temporarily unavailable as it receives repairs. Please contact the library for updates on this material.