Held at: Historical Society of Pennsylvania [Contact Us]1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19107
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) was one of many veterans' organizations created after the conclusion of the Civil War. These patriotic and social groups helped to unite veterans and to form powerful political lobbies, which advocated for the rights and compensation of veterans. The GAR was founded in 1866 as a national organization, which was divided into departments by state. Membership was limited to honorably discharged Union veterans of the Civil War who applied to local posts; applicants' admission was voted upon by the post membership. The Philip R. Schuyler Post No. 51 was a local division of the Department of Pennsylvania, which was founded in Philadelphia in 1874.
The organization hosted yearly encampments on the state and national level that served as the rule-making boards of the Grand Army of the Republic. In addition to these formal state and national gatherings, each post hosted a range of social and formal commemorative activities, which included attending funerals of post members, and hosting memorial services, lectures, and trips.
The Grand Army of the Republic formed several allied organizations during its existence, one of which was the Sons of the Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW). The SUVCW eventually took over all of the Grand Army of the Republic's operations and became the steward of the GAR history.
This collection contains records from the Philip R. Schuyler Post No. 51 of the Grand Army of the Republic, the Ladies Aid Society No. 4, the Sons of Union Veterans Camp No. 2, and the Auxiliary to the Sons of Union Veterans.
The majority of records pertain to the operation and membership of the Philip R. Schuyler Post No. 51 and include the constitution and by-laws, applications for membership, cash books, dues ledgers, member lists, black books, correspondence, minutes, orders and reports. The bulk of the collection is housed in volumes that are arranged by date and material type. Another significant group of materials relates to the activities of the Ladies Aid Society/Sons of Union Veterans Auxiliary. These records consist of expenses and dues ledgers, minutes, orders, and receipt books, which document the Auxiliary's charitable and relief work.
This collection provides a thorough understanding of the operations and activities of the Schuyler Post in Philadelphia.
Gift of Philip R. Schuyler Post No. 51, GAR through Maxwell Whiteman.
- Historical Society of Pennsylvania
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Cathleen Miller
- Finding Aid Date
- The Digital Center for Americana pilot project was funded by the Barra Foundation and several individual donors.
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.