Held at: Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections [Contact Us]370 Lancaster Ave, Haverford, PA 19041
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Quakers first settled in New Jersey (Shrewsbury) in 1665. By 1677, Quakers had arrived in Burlington, New Jersey. In 1681, the Burlington Monthly Meeting held a general meeting (which was later known as the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting) of Quakers in the Deleware Valley. This meeting would alternate between Philadelphia and Burlington until 1760, which thereafter, the meeting convened in Philadelphia. The year 1981 marked the tercentenary of the yearly meeting, which was celebrated in Burlington on September 19th.
This collection contains Burlington Meeting House materials including photocopies, newspaper clippings, deeds, and maps, specifically pertaining to the 300th anniversary celebration of the Yearly Meeting in 1981. Materials include photocopies of New York Times articles from September 1981 and November 1981, pages from the manuscript of Henry S. Haines, and pages from William Schermerhorn's "The History of Burlington, New Jersey," all of which describe the history of the Burlington Meeting House and Quakers in New Jersey. There are maps of the Burlington Meeting House and its surroundings (both sketched and photocopies). There is a summary of Deed Titles of the south side of Broad Street between Lawrence and York St in Burlington from October 1724 to 1882. Additionally, there's an original copy of a deed in which Franklin Woolman grants the property (33 ft on Lawrence St. and 27 ft on Laumaster St.) to the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the City of Burlington in June, 1876.The trustees then give out four mortgages between 1902 and 1909. Original newspaper clippings include a New York Times article from September 1981 about Quakers mediating national and international conflicts after China accepted their donation of pacemakers and a Philadelphia Inquirer article from September 1981 about the 300th anniversary celebration of the Burlington Meeting. The collection also consists of a letter from Haverford College from September 1981 about the history of Quakers in New Jersey, an introductory pamphlet of the Friends Meeting Houses in South-Central New Jersey with brief histories of meeting houses (Burlington, Mount Holly, Arney's Mount, Mansfield, and Rancoca) in commemoration to when Quakers first arrived in New Jersey, and a booklet of Harrison Township Historical Society's "A Friendly Legacy" exhibit (March to May 1981), which highlights 305 years of Quaker influence on Southern New Jersey. Lastly, there's a photocopy of a letter from the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting pertaining to event details for the 300th anniversary celebration at Burlington, New Jersey.
Gift of Jeanne A. Ward, 2019
Processed by Sakina Gulamhusein, completed February 2023
- Quakers -- New Jersey
- Quakers -- New Jersey -- Burlington County
- Religious newspapers and periodicals -- United States
- Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections
- Finding Aid Author
- Erick Iraheta
- Finding Aid Date
- February, 2023
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open for research use.
- Use Restrictions
Standard Federal Copyright Law Applies (U.S. Title 17)