Held at: German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]611 Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19123
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
In 1896 the Technischer Verein, or Technical Society of Philadelphia (founded 1872), became affiliated with the Deutscher Klub, or German Club of Philadelphia (founded May 1874), at the clubhouse located at 532 N. 4th Street. The two organizations came under a common administration in 1910. The combined charter, statutes and by-laws of the two organizations were first revised and newly issued in 1928. The Technischer Verein of Philadelphia was, in turn, affiliated with the Deutsch-Amerikanischer Techniker-Verband (National Association of German American Technologists), formed in 1884, when the Technischer Vereine of New York, Chicago and Philadelphia joined together; by 1928, the national association also had branches in Newark, Chicago, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Milwaukee. In 1931 the Deutscher Klub und Technischer Verein moved to a new clubhouse at 2315 N. Broad Street. In late 1936 it moved to the Walton Hotel; and in late 1937 it moved again to the house of the Canstatter Volksfest-Verein, at 1637 N. Broad Street. In 1939, due to diminished interest, the clubhouse was given up, although some members continued to meet.
The collection includes three minute books of the Technischer Verein, 1884-1926, with a gap from October 1896 to September 1897; a volume recording Technischer Verein constitution, by-laws and amendments, 1897-1926; one minute book of the Deutscher Klub, 1888-1898; and two minute books of the combined organization that resulted from the merging of the two societies, Deutscher Klub und Technischer Verein zu Philadelphia, 1922-1937, with a printed copy of the charter and by-laws, 1928. Also included are approximately 44 items of ephemera, 1927-1933. Some treasurer's reports are found in the minutes.
In the period from 1899 to 1921 the collection contains no records for either of the two components societies, except for the volume recording the constitution and by-laws of the Technischer Verein over this period.
The Technnischer Verein minutes contain many items tipped in, primarily newspaper clippings relating to the activities of the society and articles on technical topics. In the minutes of 1894 a hand-drawn map by G. Stierlin is tipped in, illustrating a lecture about a trip to the Far East; and laid in the minute book of 1897-1904 is a portrait of Hector von Bayer.
Laid in the final volume of minutes is a letter to the membership dated 13 March 1939 announcing that the club would give up its physical premises; a note at the head in the hand of Ferdinand W. Mostertz states that the letter was presented by C. Clemens at a meeting in January 1950.
Minute takers in the most recent two volumes include: Theodor E. Martin, Carl Günther Orgell, Karl F. Lutz, Joseph Birnbach, Karl F. Ottolini, Hans C. Palm, F. R. Greenbaum, and Heinrich C. Heller.
Among the ephemera are postcards advertising events (one with a picture of the clubhouse in 1921); tickets; programs, including menus; a dance card; and letters to the membership. Included are three items related to the organization's women's auxiliary (Damenverein), founded in 1906. A few items relate to the National Association of German-American Technologists, including the program for the 45th convention, held in Philadelphia in 1929; and a membership list dated 1931.
Arranged in 4 series: I. Technischer Verein records, 1884-1926; II. Deutscher Klub minute book, 1888-1898; III. Deutscher Klub und Technischer Verein minute books, 1922-1937, with related item dated 1939; IV. Deutscher Klub und Technischer Verein ephemera, 1927-1933.
Some loose items bear the names Karl F. Lutz, Emil Doernenburg, and Elsie Doernenburg.
- Damenverein des Deutschen Klubs und Technischen Vereins (Philadelphia, Pa.).
- National Association of German-American Technologists.
- German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Violet Lutz
- Finding Aid Date
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
- Use Restrictions
Copyright restrictions may apply. Please contact the German Society of Pennsylvania with requests for copying and for authorization to publish, quote or reproduce the material.
Unpaginated. Handwritten. Among items tipped in are newspaper clippings about the society's meetings. Front cover and first page(s) detached
300 p. Handwritten. Includes index at back for meetings according to date. Newspaper clippings about the society's meetings tipped in. Covers detached; some loose gatherings. Includes a hand-drawn map by G. Stierlin (p. 124) illustrating a lecture 10 November 1894 about a trip to the Far East
243 p. Handwritten. Spine covering tattered. Includes treasurer's reports
102 p., with blank pages at back. Handwritten, with typed items tipped in. Includes treasurer's reports. Accompanied by folder of loose items (originally laid in), including the minutes of some meetings and a copy of the printed charter and by-laws of 1928
202 p. Handwritten, with some typed minutes tipped in. Includes treasurer's reports. Accompanied by folder of loose items (originally laid in), including: minutes from 24 August 1936 to 11 November 1937; letter to the membership, 13 March 1939, with note from Ferdinand W. Mosterz indicating that it was presented by C. Clemens at a meeting in January 1950
Also includes letters to the membership, as well as items related to the Women's Auxiliary of the organization, 1921-1931; and to the National Association of German-American Technologists, 1929-1931