Held at: Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]2900 West Queen Lane, Philadelphia, PA 19129
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Dr. Ann Preston, a graduate of the first class of the Female Medical College of PA, initiated a course of lectures at Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia on nursing the sick. One graduate completed the 6-months course in 1865. The course was lengthened to 1 year in 1873 and in 1877 to 2 years. Until 1903, this 2-year course remained in effect under the staff of the Woman's Medical College & Woman's Hospital. When the Hospital of Woman's Medical College was organized in 1904, provisions were made for a nursing school; and at that time the Woman's Hospital of PA Nursing School continued its program independently.
On February 1, 1908, an official School of Nursing was begun at which time Annie Bitner became the Superintendent. Twelve students were enrolled for a 2-year course. In 1911, the course of nursing education was extended to 3-years and the Alumnae Association was founded. In 1956, a Nursing dormitory was built and named Ann Preston Hall. The school graduated its last class in January 1980, at which time the school officially closed.
As an artificial collection, the WMCP School of Nursing Records contains materials related to administration, recruitment, public events, and general education. The collection also holds ephemera in the form of dolls, awards and nursing uniforms. While the date range is from 1904-1980, the bulk of the materials are from 1960-1980, the last twenty years the School of Nursing was active. This collection has been arranged into the following five series; the records are organized conceptually and chronologically. For further information please see Yearbooks.
Series I: Administration - This series includes evaluations, reports, meeting notes, curriculums, and details on educational materials relating to the development of the WMCP School of Nursing from 1904 to 1976. The majority of materials in the series relate to evaluations and accreditation of the program. The administrative materials are organized alphabetically, then chronologically.
Series II: Events - This series includes invitations, flyers and evidence of various events including Parent's Day, capping ceremonies and commencement. It also contains documentation of the Nurses Strike of 1978. The materials are organized alphabetically then chronologically.
Series III: Publications - This series contains bulletins that detail course outlines, current leadership, and necessary information for enrolling in the School of Nursing from 1940-1979. It also includes multimedia resources and publications about the origins of nursing and modern developments. The publications are organized alphabetically, then chronologically.
Series IV: Photographs - This series is composed of photographs related to the education, achievements, and social life of students in the nursing program. This series includes black and white photographs of various sizes. The subject matter of the photographs is formal events as well as day-to-day life. The photographs are divided into dated, undated, and photos relating to the Tea and Tour Event of 1965.
Series V: Ephemera - This series holds memorabilia from the School of Nursing including a 1917 nursing pin, nurse uniforms from the late 1960s, and two nurse dolls from the late 1960s wearing uniforms standard with the period, and the Florence Nightingale award.
- Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center
- Finding Aid Author
- Caitlin Abadir-Mullally