Letters received by the Office of the Librarian I
Held at: Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]19 S. 22nd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Office of the Librarian of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia was established in 1854, Before 1851, the chairman of the Library Committee was responsible for the administration of the Library, and from 1851 to 1854, the Secretary of the College acted as librarian, In 1863, the Librarian became an officer of the College, and the by-laws of this year established his official duties: the "preservation, arrangement and cataloguing of the books belonging to the Library of the College", This position was part-time; the Librarian was required to be present in the Library for an hour before each meeting and an additional hour each week.
A major change in the Library's administration occurred in 1882. At this time, two new positions, "Honorary Librarian" and "Assistant Librarian" were created. The Honorary Librarian served as an "ex officio" member of the Library Committee and was responsible for the Library's funds and employees. The Assistant Librarian, who worked full-time and did not have to be a Fellow of the College, was responsible for the daily administration of the Library. His other duties included acting as secretary of the Library Committee and keeping records of all books purchased or donated to the Library.
In the 1914 by-laws, the title of Assistant Librarian was changed to Librarian. Also in 1914, the Librarian became the "Superintendent of the College building", This responsibility was omitted from the 1925 by-laws, and by 1935, the by-laws were again amended to state that the Librarian "shall keep a record of all acquisitions of the Library, with the names of the donors".
A new position, Curator of the Historical Collections of the Library, was added to the staff in 1953. In 1982, the title of "Librarian" was changed to "Director of the Library". In 1990, the responisibilities of the Director of the Library were divided between the Director of the Library for Public Services and the Director of the Library for Historical Services.
The collection contains letters received, 1875-1942, by the Office of the Librarian of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. The bulk of the letters, 1884-1934, are addressed to Charles Perry Fisher, and several contain drafts of his replies. Most of these letters concern donations of books, pamphlets, reprints, manuscript material, photographs, bookplates, medals, and oil paintings to the College of Physicians and its Library. There are also letters concerning medical library policies and procedures; requests for circulating books and periodicals; and internal College and Library administrative matters.
Principal correspondents are physicians and medical librarians, including: Robert Abbe, Walter F. Atlee, Edwin H. Brigham, Harvey Cushing, J.M. Da Costa, W, A. Newland Dorland, Fielding H. Garrison, Samuel Weissell Gross, Richard H. Harte, Frederick P. Henry, James H. Hutchinson, J. Ewing Mears, Francis R. Packard, and J. C. Reeve.
The source of this collection of letters of Charles Perry Fisher, Librarian of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, is unknown.
The collection was processed and catalogued in 1991.
- Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia