Held at: Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]19 S. 22nd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
The Section on Ophthalmology of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia was instituted in 1893, the first Section to be formed at the College. In 1890, Fellows specializing in ophthalmology requested permission from the College to meet once a month to read papers and discuss topics relevant to their field. Although many Fellows were opposed to such specialization, permission for the meetings was granted on 5 November 1890. On 16 November 1890, fifteen ophthalmologists, including chairman William F. Norris and secretary Edward Jackson, held their first meeting in the College. In late 2005 or 2006, nearly all College sections were discontinued, including the Section on Ophthalmology.
This small collection contains annual reports for the Section for the years 1991 through 1994.
It was discovered during a survey in the summer and fall of 2015.
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia