Records of the Library Committee of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia II
Held at: Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]19 S. 22nd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
The Library Committee of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia became a standing committee in 1834. The by-laws of this year state that the Library Committee "shall attend to the increase and preservation of the Library...they shall purchase books and carry into effect all such regulations pertaining to the Library...and shall present a report upon its condition". At this time, the chairman of the Library Committee acted as the Librarian of the College. In 1863, the Office of the Librarian was created, and the duties of the Library Committee were reduced to the "general supervision of the Library of the College". Also during this year, the Committee became responsible for providing an estimate of the Library's annual expenses. In 1870, due to an increasing demand for the Library's resources, it was decided that a member of the Committee would attend in the Library daily and receive an annual salary for his services. The Office of the Honorary Librarian was created in 1882; at this time, the Library Committee became responsible for appointing an "Assistant Librarian" who also served as secretary of the Committee. In 1935, the by-laws were again amended to state that the Library Committee "shall have charge of the Library of the College, its quarters, their furnishings, and such relics and collections as are not otherwise provided for". In 1959, the Library Committee began to operate "under the direction of the Council" and became responsible for nominating both a Librarian and a Curator of the Library's Historical Collections. As of 1972, the Library Committee was no longer responsible for these nominations. In 1990, the responsibilities of the Library Committee were transferred to the College's Committee on Program.
The Records of the Library Committee of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia II spans the years 1865 to 1950, and is divided into three series. The bulk of the collection is contained in Series I: Minutes, which include meeting minutes and agendas for the meetings, 1865 to 1950. Series II includes a small number of financial reports for the years 1932 to 1937, and Series III is comprised of a (draft?) of Library rules, written on 10 November 1893.