- 10.0 linear feet
- The Saving Fund Society of Germantown and its Vicinity was founded in 1854 in the Germantown Section of Philadelphia. At the outset, the Saving Fund Society of Germantown set out to be more than a money-making and money-lending institution--its founders wished to help the working classes accumulate sufficient funds to purchase homes or pay for financial emergencies. The Society changed its name to Germantown Savings Bank in 1987, and later merged into Corestates Bank. Corestates was absorbed into another bank, which itself was absorbed and renamed several times thereafter. The Saving Fund Society of Germantown and its Vicinity records, 1860-1951, is comprised of about 43 volumes of financial transactions and account books, 1860-1951; a small quantity of loose early records, circa 1874; and seven atlases of Philadelphia.
Held at: Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]