- 2.1 linear feet
- This collection documents the history of land ownership for the block in center city Philadelphia that is currently occupied by the Curtis Building, which is bounded by South 6th and South 7th Streets, and Sansom and Walnut Streets. There are 107 land deeds or indentures, and 23 other records of various sorts that document the sale, purchase, or transfer of property from 1794 to 1908 within this block. The oldest document is an indenture for the entire plot from James Logan, Jr. to John Swanwick, on December 31, 1794. The most recent document is a 1908 survey of the same plot, likely made for the Curtis Publishing Company by the City of Philadelphia. The majority are handwritten on vellum and are largely in good condition. Records are arranged chronologically.
Held at: University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts [Contact Us]