- 50.0 linear feet
- The Central High School of Philadelphia (Pennsylvania) is the second oldest continuously public high school in the United States, operating as a magnet school within the School District of Philadelphia. Chartered in 1836 as an all-boys school, its first building opened its doors in 1838. The school moved to its current building in 1939 and began admitting female students in 1983. The Associated Alumni of the Central High School of Philadelphia subject files on the Central High School of Philadelphia, 1818-2014 (bulk 1880-2014), consist of subject, class, faculty, distinguished visitors, and alumni files. A minute book of the Board of Public Education of the First School District of Pennsylvania, 1818-1823, is also available. Certain items within the files may be of particular interest including letters from famous people such as Margaret Mead, Robert Kennedy, and John Wanamaker and materials relating to former Unites States presidents.
Held at: Archives of the Associated Alumni of the Central High School of Philadelphia [Contact Us]