- 100.0 linear feet
- Tindley Temple United Methodist Church was founded in 1837 as the John Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church, and was later known as the Bainbridge Street Methodist Church and East Calvary Methodist Church before it was renamed after its influential pastor Charles A. Tindley in 1927. Charles Albert Tindley (1851-1933) became a pastor of the church in 1902 and vastly increased the size of the congregation during his ministry. He is nationally significant for his important role in the development of the African American gospel tradition. The Tindley Temple United Methodist Church records, circa 1900-2014, consist of membership records, church Trustee records, property and building-related documents, administrative papers, financial records, programs from church services and other events, recordings, photographs, and papers of and research on church reverends. Of note are a small amount of materials from Charles A. Tindley, including photographs of him and sermon outlines.
Held at: Charles Albert Tindley Institute [Contact Us]