- 22.00 linear feet (26 boxes and 1 oversized folder of analog material and 0.51 megabytes of digital material
) and 0.51 megabytes
- The Judge Norma L. Shapiro papers, 1957-2016, consist of material from Shapiro's time as a federal judge and her active involvement in legal organizations. Norma Levy Shapiro attended the University of Pennsylvania Law School (now known as the University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School) from 1949 to 1951. In August 1978, President Jimmy Carter nominated Shapiro to the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, making her the first female judge to serve in this district. Shapiro gained national recognition for several cases that she presided over, including Harris v. City of Philadelphia. The collection contains correspondence, case notes, speeches, and meeting minutes that document Shapiro's work on Harris v. City of Philadelphia, her service to the Eastern District Court, and her involvement in professional legal organizations.
Held at: University of Pennsylvania: Biddle Law Library [Contact Us]