- 1.3 linear feet ((1 box))
- Henry Disston, 1819-1878, started a successful saw works in 1849, and began to move his company to Tacony, a neighborhood in Northeastern Philadelphia, in 1871. He sought to develop an utopian, family-centered community in Tacony for his workers with affordable housing and abundant schools, churches, and a library. His company became one of the leading suppliers of saws and files in the United States and continues today to produce these same items as Disston Precision. Historical Society of Tacony Henry Disston & Sons, Inc. collection, 1876-1920, includes reprints and originals of Disston company catalogs and newsletters, and historical and modern photographs. The highlights of this collection are the first real estate sales book belonging to Henry Disston, 1873-1894, and an original "Plan of Building Lots Belonging to Henry Disston and Sons at Tacony, June 1882" by George Webster.
Held at: Historical Society of Tacony [Contact Us]