- 0.25 linear feet (1 box )
- The Chautauqua movement grew out of the American Lyceum and had its beginnings in 1874 at Chautauqua Lake, New York. In the late 1800s, this movement to provide entertainment and education to the American public was extended by circuit Chautauquas which expanded its influence from coast to coast. The Swarthmore Chautauqua was the youngest of the circuits and was founded in 1912 by Paul M. Pearson of Swarthmore College. This small collection of Chautauqua memorabilia contains programs, news clippings, and other material concerning primarily the Redpath Circuit, which operated out of Chicago and Ohio, and the Swarthmore Circuit, which was based in Swarthmore, Pa.
Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]